"My Succulent Discoveries of Art, Life, Creativity, Procrastination & More all by Accident"

... although I'm no Accident.....
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139: 13~16

Friday, August 15, 2008

Letting go....

I've discovered this week, I have a very hard time letting go. I mean I'm really, really bad at it! I want to hang on to almost everything.

This revelation hit me this week as I decided to tackle my bedroom closet. I was determined I could accomplish cleaning out my closet in about 2 hours. Wow... was I wrong. I couldn't decide where to start. Most of the clothing in my closet ended up on the floor in this huge heap of tangled hangers, scarfs, hats, sweaters, tops, bottoms, skirts and more. For those of you who really know me... know I have probably just as many scarves & hats as I do clothes.

As I shifted through my mounds of clothing, I seriously set out to "prune" myshelf "self" i mean, closet. But it became increasingly difficult.I thought... "I couldn't possibly part with that t-shirt, it's from my senior year in high school." (Mind you... i graduated from high school in 1992) or I thought..."Of course I can fit in these cute jeans from old navy.... size 4, again, that was only 6 years ago, i just need to focus on exercising & eating right."

So as I was having these conversations with myself when God starting nudging my heart.

I begin reflecting on how not only do I have a challenging time "letting go" of clothes from sixteen years ago... I simply have a hard time letting go.

God revealed to me:

1) I have a hard time letting go of arguements or frustrations... I may have with my husband. I want to be "right" or acknowledged that my view is valid and I desire to be validated. I have a hard time walking away even when my husband is taking the high road and diffuses the conversation so we can revisit it later when we both are calmer.... yet still... I have a hard time letting go.


2) I have a hard time letting go of friendships that I know I need to sever.


3) I have a hard time letting go of paths that God placed me on, for me to discover it actually was a different path He desired for me.


4) I have a hard time letting go of plastic containers....(throwing out in the recycling bin) including yogurt containers with lids, milk jugs, coffe cans etc.... that I can reuse for painting, storing, art projects etc.


5) I have a hard time letting go of my son each morning now that I'm teaching again... but he's in great hands with his daddy and my sister.


6) I have hard time letting go of silly little things that my step daughter does, although they usually aren't a big deal; I simply want so much more for her. I find myself unable to let go and want to turn every situation into a teachable moment.


7) I have a hard time letting go..... but I'm discovering letting go means...
I'm growing.

7 comments:

The Glow Girls said...

I understand of the letting go. It is hard for me as well. Letting go of home of where I once was, knowing that God has me here for a big reason. Letting go of those desires that were once placed in my heart that may no longer be there. Growing? I don't like it. But I know we have to go through growing pains to experince Gods blessings.

Wimberley said...

Thanks Tiff for your wise insights... Miss you! And I look forward to hearing about your God filled blessings!

Sohl Gal said...

Wim, you are so speaking to me. You grow, girl. I wish you'd heard the guy @ c-3 talk about getting broken... so related to what you're feeling. I miss you friend!

DeeDee said...

Great post, Wim! I have a hard time letting go, too. But a few years ago, God showed me that when I empty my hand of whatever it is I'm clinching, He can fill it with something remarkable. But as long as my hand is tight-fisted, gripping that thing I can't seem to turn loose, I have no room to receive anything else. I am working hard on letting go a little quicker!

Jules said...

Hey girl... I think it's a female thing. We are the "gatherers" in the hunter/gatherer tribe. I've gotten past the gathering notion in "stuff" but I still tend to gather in emotions and holding on two wrongs. You're doing good just to see it in yourself.

Susie said...

So proud of you Wim for writing this post! We all need to let go of things. My list seems to never end, but with God all things are possible. Thanks for sharing and reminding us through this great post!

DA Wagners said...

Maybe it's a female thing, this letting go business. My husband is so good at moving on.

I just remember that God wants us to forgive right away and not keep a logue of negatives, which is hard. But it is easier to keep the Golden Rule when we don't have a running list of past wrongs.

Thanks for sharing; I'm right there with you!