"My Succulent Discoveries of Art, Life, Creativity, Procrastination & More all by Accident"

... although I'm no Accident.....
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139: 13~16

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

GO for the GOLD!

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

I love watching the Olympics! I remember watching as a child; and always anticipating that 4th summer to roll around again. So I could watch! I loved how the athletes make it look so effortless. I love the energy and determination the athletes seem to possess during the games. And ohhhhhh that TEAM SPIRIT... the unity... Go Team USA!

The Summer of '96 was an exciting one! I was able to attend the 1996 Olympics in Altanta. My brother lived in Altanta at the time and it was so sweet to get to experience it all first hand and up close! We attended a few events, hung out at Olympic Park and just relished in the upclose history we were witnessing.

So as I watch athletes like Phelps & Torres (wow!), Finch and more (not to mention the men's 400 freestyle relay) go for the GOLD, I'm reminded that I too need to strive for GOLD in my life.

I believe Paul says it best:

"Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown **(or in modern society a Gold, Silver or Bronze medal) that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. " 1 Corinthians 9:25-27 (** I added)

Am I running to win the prize? Or am I simply running aimlessly?

Do I beat my body? Am I disciplined in my relationship with Christ? Do I have a focus? A Gold "goal" in mind?


"But He knows the way I take; When He has tried me, I shall come forth as GOLD." Job 23:10

I want to come forth as GOLD but I need to go through strict training in Christ... and it's so much easier to stay status quo, to be comfortable. To just compete. But that's not what He calls us to do. He desires us to push the boundaries, to step out on the ledge, to go over and beyond, to push ourselves to break our own "World Record" even by a fingertip if not by a whole body length or 2 or more. To Go for the GOLD... the crown of Life.

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12

So we can share the GOLD with others... so they too can win the race.

3 comments:

Sohl Gal said...

Great comparisons... between His gold and the Olympics. Very timely, and yet timeless.

DA Wagners said...

Love the gold!!! I'm ready to compete!!!

DeeDee said...

Wow! Great post! And what a great reminder of how we need to be striving for God's very best. Thanks for sharing!